This page has moved to a new address.

 

              Peapods        

 
    Two of Everything: Peapods

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Peapods

The other day in the supermarket, I spotted some peapods.  When I was teaching I used to grow peas in the nursery garden for the children to explore, and they could help themselves to the bounty when they were playing outside!  I decided to get some for my two, as it has been too rainy to get outside and plant peas.  I bought a handful and they cost me about 60p!  They had a wonderful time with the peapods, here are some of the things they were learning:  

How do we open this?



Look what's inside!




I have to use my fingers carefully to take these out of here!



These peas are rather yummy!




We talked about lots of things, like the colour they could see (they can both say 'green', just about!), what they tasted like (they were really sweet, and quite crunchy), and we listened to the 'pop' which you get if you squeeze across the top of the pod.  They both had lots of fun saying 'pop, pop'!

This was a great activity for language development and practising using their fingers.






And someone decided he could find something just as tasty as the peas...



11 Comments:

At 18 July 2012 at 21:21 , Blogger Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

I remember many happy memories shelling peas in the garden for Mum when I was not much older than the twins!

 
At 18 July 2012 at 22:13 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

It's a very satisfying thing to do! Although I'm not sure I would get many peas at the end if I got them to do it for me at the moment... They rather liked them...

 
At 19 July 2012 at 17:00 , Blogger Sarahmumof3 said...

I love peas in pods they are so tasty I remmeber my old neighbours mum always used to grow loads of them and then share them with everyone :D x

 
At 19 July 2012 at 19:38 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

They really are, I'd forgotten how nice they were!

 
At 23 July 2012 at 08:01 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

I was in Reception class last week and they had pea pods for their snack - they didn't know what to do with them at first. Looks like your little ones had great fun.

 
At 23 July 2012 at 08:32 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

They're so good for little ones to explore - my two really enjoyed it.

 
At 23 July 2012 at 10:14 , Anonymous bluebirdsunshine said...

Oh those pics are so sweet! Looks like they had a fabulous time.

 
At 23 July 2012 at 14:12 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

Thank you :)

 
At 24 July 2012 at 00:49 , Anonymous Mammasaurus said...

Ah now I hadn't thought about trying peapods with my little ones. Maybe it'll help them conquer their dislike of peas - thanks for the tip!

 
At 24 July 2012 at 13:41 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

Pleasure :) They're really sweet, you really wouldn't know you're eating veg!

 
At 26 July 2012 at 18:10 , Anonymous Emma @sciencesparks said...

oooh what fun, and a great way to learn. Thanks for linking to Science sparks xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home